I love getting together with my family. Not only is it always great to see them, but also it’s a time for lots of cooking. One thing that is always guaranteed is that my sister, Barb, will always make a fantastic salad. It is one of those things that I always look forward to. Yes. I look forward to her salads!
Especially at the holidays, when in the midst of the all the rich, heavy foods and decadent desserts, my sister’s salads are like an oasis of healthiness. Hey, I’m not one who is always about healthy…my motto is everything in moderation. But, sometimes, it’s really nice to dive into a really fresh, crisp salad…and my sister’s salads are really that good and have become a regular request from everyone in the family.
So, when I sought to create a salad of my own that could hold its own among the best of the best, my sister and her incomparable salads immediately came to mind. Call it healthy sibling rivalry or just a need to be the best salad maker in the family…necessity is the mother of invention. Thus, it became a little bit of a challenge for me if I could create something that might rise to level of one of her famous salads.
I’ll let you be the judge, but I think we might have hit the mark on this one. My Out of this World Spinach Salad combines some of the greatest things you never thought to put in a salad. Topped with our homemade Avocado Poppy Seed Dressing (also available on the website and inspired by Barb’s own amazing Poppy Seed dressing), you’ll truly have a salad that is out of this World.
I hope you enjoy! Send me your pix and please leave comments about your creation!
Out of this World Spinach Salad
SO WHAT YOU'RE GONNA NEED IS:
- 3 cups Baby Spinach http://amzn.to/2nyJOFC
- 1/4 cup Red Onion sliced http://amzn.to/2n6knA3
- 1/4 cup Garbanzo Beans http://amzn.to/2owAN4q
- 1/4 cup Israeli Couscous http://amzn.to/2oDrKfn
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate Seeds Check your Local Grocery Store
- 1/4 cup Red Grapes http://amzn.to/2nS45Ih
- 1 Avocado http://amzn.to/2nE0hsV
- 1 Tablespoons Feta Cheese http://amzn.to/2oTLJWE
- 1 Tablespoons Pistachios http://amzn.to/2n6sIUe
- 1 Lemon (for zesting) http://amzn.to/2nyERwA
- To taste Poppyseed Dressing www.tinykitchenTV.com
Prepare the Couscous
- Cook Israeli Couscous according to package directions. Let cool. (If you want to speed up the cooling process, place in refrigerator or freezer while you prepare the other ingredients.)
Prepare the Salad Ingredients
- Chiffonade Spinach leaves into 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick strips and place into large salad bowl.
- Cut Onion in half lengthwise so that 1/2 of the root remains. Place cut-side down. Next, cut the onion in half widthwise. Keep the 1/4 of the onion with the root attached. Cut that quarter once more lengthwise, keeping the root intact. Do not cut through the root. Finally, widthwise, cut very thin slices (1/16 of an inch). Add 1/4 cup to Spinach.
- Cut small red grapes in half. Add to Spinach
- If you do not buy the Pomegranate Seeds already our of the fruit, seed the pomegranate to yield 1/4 cup of seeds. Add to Spinach.
- Drain and rinse Garbanzo Beans. Add 1/3 cup to Spinach.
- Cut Avocado in half. Remove the pit. Scoop each half of the avocado out of the shell and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Add to Spinach.
- Combine all the ingredients above and dress with the Avocado Poppy Seed Dressing. Mix salad until thoroughly coated and plate on serving dish.
Top off the Salad
- Place Pistachio Nuts into a small plastic bag. Hit nuts with the back of a spoon until roughly crushed. Top salad with nuts.
- Crumble Feta Cheese on top of the salad.
- Finally, zest 1/2 of the small Lemon on top of the salad.